SAD NEWS: Former Celtic Player Tipped to Return No Longer Returning as His Club Makes This Decision..

January 31, 2025

Celtic Suffer Tierney Setback as Arsenal Block Loan Move

Celtic’s hopes of securing the services of Kieran Tierney on loan for the remainder of the season have been dealt a significant blow. According to reports, Arsenal are preparing to block a proposed January loan move for the Scotland international, despite a pre-contract agreement being in place that will see Tierney return to his boyhood club in the summer.

Brendan Rodgers had been hopeful that a deal could be struck with the English Premier League side that would allow Tierney to rejoin Celtic on loan for the remainder of the campaign. However, it appears that Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta is not prepared to let the 27-year-old left-back leave this month, as he looks to retain squad depth for domestic and Champions League ambitions.

The news will come as a disappointment to Celtic fans, who had been eagerly anticipating Tierney’s return to the club. The Scotland international has been a long-term target for Rodgers, and his capture would have provided a significant boost to the team’s chances of securing a domestic treble.

Meanwhile, Celtic have reportedly had an opening £4.6million offer for Sarpsborg winger Sondre Ørjasæter rejected by the Norwegian club, who value the 21-year-old at nearer £7m. Negotiations remain ongoing with Celtic pursuing a deal for the Norway Under 21 international in this window.

In other news, Rangers winger Rabbi Matondo has joined German club Hannover on loan until the end of the season with an option to make the move permanent. Matondo has made 67 appearances for Rangers since joining in a £1.8million deal from Schalke in the summer of 2022.

“I’m delighted to be here,” Matondo told Hannover’s website. “It’s a big club with an exciting team and really good conditions – just looking at the stadium. I’m really looking forward to playing here. I’m very motivated to do my part to ensure that we have a really successful second half of the season and are in the race for the top spots until the end.”

Hibs youngster Josh Landers has joined English Premier League side West Ham United on a permanent transfer. The Easter Road club say that they received a six-figure fee for the 17-year-old striker, and the deal includes a sell-on clause.

“We are pleased with the level of compensation we have received for Josh, and we are proud that our Academy has produced another player fit for an English Premier League side,” said Hibs sporting director Malky Mackay.

Dundee United have signed Scotland international Allan Campbell from Luton Town in a move hailed as a “coup” by manager Jim Goodwin. Campbell, 26, has joined the Tannadice club on a permanent deal until the end of the season.

“The signing of Allan represents a real coup for the club – it’s rare for a player of his calibre to be available in the winter window,” said Goodwin. “I thoroughly enjoyed watching him develop into one of Scotland’s brightest talents during his time at Motherwell, and his decision to venture south of the border was vindicated by an incredibly successful period with Luton Town.”

St Johnstone have signed former Scotland Under-21 international Elliot Watt on loan from Burton until the end of the season. The 24-year-old midfielder was appointed Burton captain after being signed by the Brewers from Salford last summer.

“I’m delighted to get it done,” Watt told Saints’ website. “It’s been a bit of a whirlwind 24 hours. I’m now just looking forward to getting into training with the boys and cracking on.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *